Thursday, February 3, 2011

January - The Month That Turned It Around

It has been an exciting four weeks, although it has taken it's toll on me. The first few days of the month were a struggle, but I was lucky that I was on vacation and could dedicate time for myself to recover. Photography turned things around for me earlier than I expected.

After a long hiatus, I was finally back on stage. I have always enjoyed performing on stage, especially spontaneous jams which pop out of nowhere. I can feel my creativity growing when I'm put in an unprepared situation. I had a great time playing with Red Bantoo (http://www.myspace.com/redbantoo) again, and I was keen to play more with them. Soon after, I was booked for two more gigs in Sydney in the upcoming weeks, both of which I am looking forward to.

I think I am very lucky that I am surrounded by genuine people who have turned into friends for life. In the last three years, I have made acquaintances in every other country on the planet. I'm an easy going guy and people get along with me really well once they get to know me.

I have also been very lucky to have recorded some of the most talented musicians in the area over the last 3 years. I enjoy recording musicians. I think it is a really special moment, when you capture someone's performance and create something that is non-materialistic but still has the power to alter the emotional state.

I had the chance to record Pete Murray, one of the top musicians in Australia over a 4-day recording session in the SSL 9000K studio - an amazing studio at my workplace. It was a massive learning experience for me, and for everyone who was involved. I am looking forward to completing this project soon and get on with some of the other amazing projects that I have been working on.

I am also recording a small choir - three girls with the most incredible voices. They're young teenagers, but they have divine voices and sing harmonies that give you goosebumps all the time. I am really excited to be a part of this project and I must thank my buddy Glendon for letting me record them.

All along, my dear friend and colleague - Philippe Chambin has been my mentor in the field of audio. I have learnt a lot from him and we do a lot of recording and mixing projects together. We realized that we work well together and we are starting something big and exciting very soon. I will keep you posted on this one! :)

The downside of the last one month has been my health. I have been pushing my physical, mental and emotional limits to the maximum, and I don't know how long I will be able to continue like this. I have a tendency to immerse myself in some kind of activity when I am feeling low. I have been sleeping for just under 4 hours a day on average in the last one month and I can feel my body giving up on me. I have lost some weight as well. I know this isn't good for me in the long run, but it is the only way I know to avoid falling into a low and unproductive phase.

1 comment:

  1. Great to read your blog Akshay.

    Please take care of yourself.
    Ironically if your body gives up on you, you will not be very productive.
    It's about finding a healthy balance. If you only get 12 hrs work done instead of 18, it may just take you a little longer, you will still be productive, but you will also be healthy and live longer!

    Balance is quality AND quantity!!

    ReplyDelete