Sunday, February 13, 2011

Glendon's Angels - S1 E6

I had another recording session with Glendon's angels last night, which went on late into the night... pretty late....

Glendon played the drums, which we recorded last Thursday, courtesy of the awesome Stephanie Kong. Glendon and Laura recorded the bass and keys at home. By the time we did the vocals, the girls had a full on backing track to sing to, which hadn't been the case so far.

We started recording at 10:00pm and went on till about 2:00 am. Johanna is a little powerhouse and the first take was a bit too powerful. Once we pointed it out she mellowed it down, but we would've liked her to push it a bit harder. Without us saying anything about it, miraculously, the third take was spot on - perfectly executed and the emotion was right there!

Tracy and Laura have sweet silky voices and they lay down really nice harmonies. Glendon had a production idea of a large choir singing "aahs" in the background, during which I had another 'most embarrassing moment in a recording studio ever' moment. I had to sing my idea of the harmonies to the girls... ummmm... enough said....

At the end of the recording, we felt that we had a full song, and I felt that I needed to deliver a better rough mix of this song than I had with the other songs... The idea was to make the drumkit sound huge even though we had very few microphones on the kit and no room mics. I thought room mics wouldn't help the vibe of the song since I wanted clean and short transients for each drum hit, but still somehow make it sound huge.

There's nothing a bit of reverb can't fix. I used a long reverb for the drums and the vocals and the keys (since I was too lazy to patch another reverb... silly me). Ironically, it worked well! The drums sounded big... really big! I doubled up the snare rim shot on a duplicate track so that I could match the levels of the snare hit as well as the rim clicks. After some quick EQ and compression, I had a decent rough mix happening.

Glendon, Rob (Laura's father) and the girls stayed on till I finished the rough mix... I really appreciate that. I felt bad for them for making them wait so long, but they went back happy and that's what counts! Stephanie Kong and Paddy Raleigh toiled into the night with me and I cannot thank them enough for their help. I could virtually see the sun rise at 5:45am as I was driving back home!!

We've recorded five songs and there's a 6th one coming up next weekend before Tracy leaves for uni. It's been an incredible journey so far on this project, and I will be putting all my heart and skills into this production. It means a lot to me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks dude. It's nice to know you are as passionate about this as I am. They certainly have talent. :) You are just the man for the job too.

    ReplyDelete